imageLightDarkIconDark Frederick Henry Haselden (1846 - about 1934)

Member of the
House of Representatives

Wikitree article for
Frederick Henry Haselden

Migration to New Zealand 1860

Move to South Africa 1910

Captain C. G. Haseldenson, son of Frederick Henry Haselden


to New Zealand 1860

Frederick Henry Haselden


Frederick Henry Haselden was born in London, 1849 and is the son of Charles Aaron Haselden (who was for some time Commissioner of Crown Lands at Auckland in the old Provincial Council days) and Maria Simpson Moore. His brother Charles John Allen Haselden, is the Stipendiary Magistrate at Wellington.

Frederick migrated to New Zealand with his parents in 1860, where he married Eliza Matilda Willway in 1876 and became a sheep farmer in Hunterville.

Following the resignation of George Hutchison, he was elected to the House of Representatives for Patea in an 18 July 1901 by-election.

As a young man Mr. Haselden spent some time on the goldfields, both in New Zealand and in West Australia, and he also fought in the Maori war, for which he holds a medal.

Frederick Haselden abandoned his wandering life some 25 years ago for pastoral pursuits, and first took up land at Otomoa, some 17 miles north of Wanganui, afterwards farming at Shannon for about four years. At the present time he occupies a considerable area of wellgrassed country near Hunterville, and is engaged in dairy and sheep farming.

Frederick Haselden has taken an active interest in the affairs of the particular locality in which he has resided, and has seen service as a member of various local bodies. He is an active worker, is in the prime of life, and has a wife and family of two sons and a daughter.

After an electoral petition the seat was declared vacant from 9 October 1901. Frederick Haselden was re-elected in the subsequent 6 November by-election, but was defeated in the 1902 general election. In the 1908 general election, he stood unsuccessfully for Ohinemuri, and in 1909 he stood in the by-election for Thames. Thrice defeated, he then migrated to South Africa, where his two sons had been living. His wife died there in 1913.

Return to top


to South Africa 1910

Mr. F. H. Haselden, ex-M.H.R. for Patea, has sold his farm, and purposes to make a trip to South Africa next January.

The ill-health of Mr. Haselden's daughter is one reason for the trip. Another is that Mr. Haselden has two sons settled in the Transvaal. It is Mr. Haselden's intention to return to the colony, but it is quite possible he may remain.

There was not a very large audience at the Museum Hall last evening, when Mr. F. H. Haselden delivered a lecture on South Africa. The chair was occupied by Mr. Henry Serjeant.

As the lecturer has only recently returned from South Africa, he had much that was interesting to tell his audience. He dealt at length with the chief incidents of the Boer war, and spoke of the various political and economic questions at present agitating the minds of settlors in South Africa, and other parts of Europe. The lecture, was illustrated by limelight pictures.

Mr F. H. Haselden, at one time Member for Patea, but latterly of Vereeniging, South Africa, is at present on a visit to England.

Mr Haselden, during the war, held the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the South African forces.

Return to top

Captain C. G. Haselden

son of Frederick Henry Haselden

His son Captain C. G. Haselden, S. A. Defence Forces, is posted to the same rank in the British M.G.C.

He comes from Wanganui, and is a son of Mr. F. H. Haselden, once M.H.R. for Patea.

It is announced by an English correspondent that the wedding will take place at Capetown early in March of Major C. G. Haselden, M.C. (late 18th Machine Gun Corps), Standarton, Transvaal, younger son of Mr F. H. Haselden, and Margaret, youngest daughter of Mr John Fairlie Muir, J.P. (X.C.S., retired), of Crofton Lodge, Cheltenham.

Mr Haselden was, of course, at one time member for Patea, and Major Haselden is a Wanganui man, although he left New Zealand a number of years ago to reside in South Africa.

He served throughout the war, first in the German South-west and East campaigns, and in the middle of 1918 he underwent a course of machine gun work at Grantham. He was formerly in the South African Defence Forces.

Return to top